THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oodles of Joy

So I'm sick. Rather, love sick. It's a pretty distracting and uncomfortable feeling, but somehow thrilling at the same time. This is bad. (Not like this is something new for me. Just...inconvenient...or something.)



Moving on. Tangent. Every day, I fall more in love with this country. Brad was explaining about our little notepads and the study abroad curve we have. Where first we get here and are in total bliss (honeymoon stage). Then school starts and our enjoyment dies a little and reality hits. Eventually, we'll hit a low and then slowly start climbing back up from our slump and we're rather stable by the end of the program. It's interesting to see everyone around me hit that slump. Me, I'm perfectly satisfied with my class and the amount of work we have to do. Sure, typical whining about how I don't wanna do anything, but really, I am still gawking over everything here. Everyday I learn something new. So if this is somehow an extended honeymoon or I've just done well adjusting, I'm rather happy about things now.

Speaking of which, I really don't remember getting culture shock. At all. Maybe I'm a late bloomer or something...Or not. Yeah, I don't think I got it at all. I mean, I've said "Well that's weird/interesting." But I've been trying to stop myself from saying that. Kinda failing, really. But I really am trying to understand this other lifestyle. Because I really do enjoy it here.


***

Last Monday, I had Kimono Etiquette class, and all the yukata (traditional summer kimono) were so pretty. And of course, the guys looked so 格好いい (cool) in theirs. We learned how to put them on and to tie the obi. It looked really hard when they showed us, but actually doing it wasn't TOO hard.



This next one is a really fancy and expensive kimono called an uchikake. It's only supposed to be wore once. The bride wears it over her wedding kimono. It's super heavy and, to me, rather gaudy. But hey, it is what it is.


I was so sad when we had to take off our yukata. I hope to buy one for the upcoming festival...


***

Thursday, I went to try out Judo, the martial arts that involves a lot of throws and using the opponents weight against themselves. I wanted to try it at Yale, but since I couldn't find out any info about judo there, I took Taw Kwon Do instead. So this was a great opportunity. For those who don't know, Judo is not the same as Karate. Karate (空手) means empty hand while Judo (柔道) means "way of gentleness". Karate does a lot of fighting stances while Judo focuses on self-defense and using the opponent against himself.

So warm-ups are always intense and kill me. but actual class was pretty cool. I will say that I felt really bad for throwing high school students on the ground. Just...wrong. >.<

I'm definitely going back next week when we get to attend 3 classes.

***

Friday was tea ceremony. We went to the high school that is just a little bit more uphill, and the tea ceremony club gave us a sample of how the ceremony is performed and how to make the tea. Was okay. Interesting, considering I know nothing about tea ceremony. My strongest feeling about that class, though, is that I CANNOT DO SEIZA. AT ALL. Glad we only had to sit like that for 5 minutes. But even that was painful. And I have a low tolerance for pain... : /


***

OMG, this weekend was amazing. We got a mini vacation from Hakodate and did an overnight trip to Ohnuma, this resort that is about 30 minutes away from my town. The weather was great, and the activities abundant. 


The display outside the Soba shop where my friends and I ate for lunch. I know Kristina would have wanted to steal the kappa statue. XD

When we got there, me, Ivona, my roommate from the hotel, and one of the girls I ride the train with everyday went around and tried 2 of the "attractions". First, we did the 2 person-bike, but it's more like a little cart that you peddle, not your typical 2-person bike. Going uphill was a pain, but the downhill ride was awesome. And in the mean time, I graced Sandra (roommate from hotel) with some awful Lion King serenading. And as penance, accidentally choked on a bug that flew into my mouth.

Afterwards, we went to what is apparently the longest slide in the world. Or was it the biggest...? Whatever, some slide. That was rather fun though intimidating at the same time. The ride consists of us sitting on these scooter looking things that go up an automatic moving track up the huge hill (actually, side of the mountain). There's no seatbelt, just a level that we hold onto and pull to break, push down to go faster. I enjoyed it. Made me want to ride a roller coaster (haven't done that in so long).


A lot of people couldn't find it since you had to walk around the mountain a little and it's hidden behind the trees. Apparently some guy accidentally fell to the side since he was going too fast. Don't worry. I'm smart enough to know when to brake when they tell me to brake. :P

Afterwards, Nicole, girl I ride the train with, and I went karaokeing for an hour before dinner and the talent show. At the talent show, besides individual people, all the classes put on a joint song. Ours was 「世界にひとつだけの花」 (The Only Flower in the World) by SMAP.


Our sensei made us learn the dance, although this is the last part where we are obviously waving our hands.

Afterwards, Sandra and I tried to go swimming, but even though we were told that the pool doesn't close until 9, the guy at the counter said it was already closed at 8:13. Let's just say I was really disappointed since it's been a year since I've been able to go swimming. I will find pool here before leaving! 必ず!

So instead, we got into the 温泉 (hot springs) a little early. Yes, I was rather uneasy about walking around a bunch of females completely naked. But considering most of them were wrinkly old Japanese women, I got over myself. After washing/showering, I got in. And when they say that the water is hot, it really is. The key is to slowly slide in and let your body adjust to it. Also, according to Sandra, it's best to sit in the ones outside, since you can really cool off with the night air. It felt so good~. :'D

No I don't have a picture of the 温泉. :P

Spent the rest of my night in my room with Ivona and Nicole talking. I wasn't really up to hanging out with a bajillion other students who were planning to get drunk, if they weren't already. Yeah, there was one person I especially wanted to hang out with, but I figured that I could spare myself the awkwardness of big groups and just chill with people I really know and like. Plus, by 11 o'clock, all three of us were dead tired.


I really wish I had taken a picture of the room after the maids had set up our futons. It really felt like a sleep over. Only the futons were SO. SOFT~. I didn't want to leave the next morning.

Sunday, a lot of people were still tired and/or complaining about the homework that they didn't want to do. I felt priveleged knowing that I had already finished mine before dinner Friday. Yeah, I'm such a goodie two shoes. NOT.

But it was rather unfortunate that no one wanted to go out and explore the town on a Sunday with me. I had so much energy and was feeling adventurous. Course, someone did bring up the fact that if I wanted to do something, I'd have to figure out what that something is before we can go anywhere. Apparently no one wants to randomly wander around places with me. :(

So I ended up spending my beautiful Sunday afternoon doing laundry, writing my weekly journal for class, and napping. As if I don't already do that on Sundays. Boo~.

***

So ママ, my host mother, is a director for both Coop (Super market chain) and UniCef (I don't think I need to explain that one), so she travels on business a lot. This week, from Saturday till about Tuesday, she was out in Sapporo, and while she was gone, I noticed that my sister and パパ (Papa) are rather not energetic. Well, it could have also been the fact that パパ had a cold this weekend, but it was still rather noticeable. Especially when she came back home. The dinner conversations became much livelier. I feel like she really holds this family together, and it shoes when she isn't home.

I really could get used to living in this way. Homesick? Not at all. Though I do miss my friends. <3

2 comments:

Elliot said...

I love Judo class! It was brutal but one of the coolest new things I learned my summer at HIF. Officially we were invited to keep on going back to the high school class after the first couple trial sessions, but as they got into training for a particular tournament they lost patience to deal with a newbie like me. So Okada san found me another class, one at a ... prison facility...? that I kept on going to until the end.

Glad you're loving Japan! Try not to let the Coop song drive you crazy. ;)

Elise said...

Roro-chan! You look so beautiful in your summer kimono...and your wedding dress! I'm glad you're having a good time and I would love to watch you taking down stupid high schoolers....